As news reaches us this morning of the President and the First Lady both testing positive for COVID, the time to focus on prayer is now. The following scripture can guide us together as we lift our voices in intercession for the First Family, for our country and for ourselves.
Lectio Divina, a Prayer Focus
Lectio Divina prayer is using scripture to pray and hear God’s voice as we pray. The Psalms in scripture are prayers so we know we are praying God’s words back to Him. Someone asked me once, how do you know to pray rightly? When we pray God’s words, we have no fear of not saying the “right words”.
Lectio Divina is an ancient practice of prayer, from the Desert Mothers and Fathers, back in 300 AD. May you hear God’s words and heart as you pray.
1.Start by getting still and taking a deep breath.
When praying, expect God to show you His presence.
2. Read the following Psalm 121:1-4 from The Passion Translation aloud slowly. Listen and look for words that stand out to you or “shimmer”.
I look up to the mountains and hills, longing for God’s help.
But then I realize that our true help and protection
come only from the Lord,
our Creator who made the heavens and the earth.
He will guard and guide me, never letting me stumble or fall.
God is my keeper; he will never forget nor ignore me.
He will never slumber nor sleep;
he is the Guardian-God for his people, Israel.
3. Pause and note the shimmer.
4. Now reread the passage aloud a second time, looking for what your role is. What are you doing?
5. Pause and note your role.
6. Now reread the passage a third time, looking for what the Lord will do. What does He promise?
7. Pause and note His role.
8. Now how do these promises support the First Family and our country? Take time to apply what God has said to you through this passage and pray. You may want to also pray for your family, your community. Ask God how He wants you to be interceding or distributing His love in focused prayer.
Get intentional to focus on prayer
The above outline can be used for any passage of the Psalms or section you want to focus upon. The Psalms are good choices, as they are already prayers. Others you may want to look at include Psalm 5, 13, 23, 27 and 62.
How will you choose to focus on prayer, especially during these next fourteen days of quarantine? Being intentional in prayer times for our country as well as for you and your family can and will make a difference. The Holy Spirit joins us in our prayers.
During times like these, God calls us to keep our eyes on Him. Our help comes from the Maker of Heaven and Earth. Thank you for joining me in a time of focus on prayer. God hears us when we pray.
Nancy Booth wants to create safe spaces for you, helping you find ways to have two-way conversations with God. She loves encouraging you to look for ways He is at work. Nancy is a spiritual director and writer. She would love to accompany you on your journey of discovery to hear and see more of the God who delights in you. Peace, hope and freedom could be yours Contact her today.